Spring Onions are also known as green onions or scallion. Spring onion is a very popular vegetable that come in different varieties like in white, red and yellow. But mostly we see in white and red colour varieties. These green onions or scallions contain a wide variety of health improving components such as vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Spring onions are used in salads in raw form or cooked with other vegetables in stir-fries or starters for adding extra nutrition.
Nutrients present in Spring Onions
- Spring onions are very rich in nutrients. They contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin K and thiamine.
- Other than these, it also contains good amounts of copper, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, chromium, manganese and fiber.
- Spring onions contain fewer amounts of fat, cholesterol, and sodium level.
- Spring onions do not contain many calories. On an average, it contains only 24 calories in every 100 grams of this vegetable.
- The taste of spring onions is very good. It adds special taste to the food. On the other hand, it heals many diseases. These onions are having advantages of eating both onions and greens.
Health Benefits of Spring Onions in our daily life
Like as in onions, spring onions are also rich in sulfur components which help in controlling blood pressure.
A 12-gram green onion stalk contains nearly about 20 micrograms of vitamin K and 1.6 milligrams of vitamin C. Both these vitamins K and C are important for the growth, development and maintenance of strong bones. If these vitamins are not included in your daily food, you may have weak bones which lead to bone fractures.
The vitamin A present in spring onions helps in not getting any eye diseases and eye problems. If your diet is not having enough vitamin A, then you may face with night blindness and other eye disorder problems.
The vitamin C and vitamin A present in foods like spring onions has strong antioxidant property, which helps in decreasing heart diseases.
Cold and Flu Problems
The anti-bacterial property present in spring onions helps to reduce the cold and flu problems.
The vitamin C present in spring onions helps to maintain the immunity system.
Spring Onions protects us from ovarian cancer.